I missed TBT last week in order to get some thoughts and feelings out. Not this week. Thursday gets its spot back where we can all laugh and enjoy a little bit of a time that once was. Plus, I just need to write something that does not require a lot of thinking and soul-searching.
A couple weeks ago in session, I made a comment in regards to prom. With that and the fact we have started to meet to plan our 25th class reunion, seems only fitting that I dig up the picture and once again, brag about how good I looked. Yes, this might be the only time I ever have positive complements about myself while wearing a dress.
Normally, I look horrible in yellow (not really the color for a red-head) and I rocked this shade! If I remember right, we snagged a deal on the dress. We would have had to, no way we could have afforded one at full price. And, let me note, the fingerless lace gloves totally made the outfit.
What a figure I had, eh?? We can attribute that to the long-line bra and girdle. Ok, have complete sympathy for the whole corset thing of the past. I remember saying that I knew I did not have to worry about being taken advantage of because no one would have taken the time to get through all that I had on underneath! I may not have taken a deep breath the whole night. I'm sure there were no trips to the bathroom either!
Thankfully, we had some ruffle in the sleeves because if you look close enough, you will see that they hit perfectly at my farmer's tan line. The disadvantage of prom being during softball season! I did look good, I cannot dispute that one. Sure, I got stood up. Sure, the kid I went with disappeared once we got there (at least I found him long enough for the photo). It was memorable though - I got to slow dance with Jason Cromwell, king from the previous year. Ok, so the whole entire prom experience was worth it just for that moment itself. Hey, can't lie!
Of course if you survived prom, that meant graduation was just around the corner. I still laugh at the fact that the year I was a senior in HS, my little sister was starting kindergarten. I still have a hard time seeing her as a grown adult. Always will be my "little hoodlem" for time and eternity.
Joe and I were talking about band the other day. I loved band. Sure there was only like 13 of us, yet it was fun. All hail the band geeks! I still remember after marching season my freshman year, I told the band teacher (who was only there for that year) that I always wanted to learn sax. He pulled one off the shelf, taught me a G-scale and said "go for it." I never looked back.
Being so small, we just had marching, pep, and concert band. I switched often between alto, tenor, and bari sax, yet we never had any specialty bands. It didn't matter to me as I pulled off making all-state jazz band my senior year. That was a neat experience (and yes, I was that good).
My sophomore - senior year, our final concert was always "Cabana" where we turned the cafeteria into a night club setting and played a whole collection of tunes. The lights were dimmed and we had candles on the tables and served soda and popcorn. There were several solo and group choral performances as well. It was really awesome. My senior year I had only one request, that I got to play my flute one last time. So, a friend and I did a duet to Chicago's Color My World. She sang, I played and it was good.
Yah, life in 1989 was pretty awesome. Can't say I was totally prepared for the summer that followed (not sure any of us involved in it were quite ready) and that is a whole blog post (that will never happen) in itself! Hey, just more memories that we can look back on and laugh....yes, almost 25 years later, we can laugh.
So, hats off to the ending the 80's in style and on top of the world.

