My Blog List

Thursday, March 20, 2014

TBT - Blue Angels and Grandpa

When I was about 7 years old or so, the Blue Angels came to Chanute AFB to perform. My Grandpa Morris, a retired Navy Master Chief, took my brother.....and I had to stay home. I was "too little" to go. Now, you try to convince a little girl who loved planes and outside and all the stories of Navy ships and deployments, that she can't go see the Blue Angels because she is "too little." I was crushed. There was a little light at the end of the tunnel....Grandpa shot 8mm footage of the show that we got to watch later. I would continue to grow up with a love for the flying blue and yellow jets of the US Navy and always carry a little regret that I didn't ever get to see them live.

Fast forward to Summer 2011. My sister calls me and says, "Hey, I know you aren't 40, until next year, but I have a great present to celebrate your 39th." Of course she kept me in suspense until it all but drove me crazy, then she finally told me - tickets to the St. Louis airshow....featuring the Blue Angels! Oh my heck, I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!

She had us all set up for the whole weekend, all I had to do was show up. We packed cameras, video recorders, sharpies (yes, I have their autographs!), and headed to Scott AFB. We were like two little kids on Christmas morning.

Now, there was an amazing little fact mixed in all of this that made it even more special. I (as well as my sister) are avid believers that those who have passed on are never that far from us. They play a lot of key roles still in our lives in all kinds of ways.

Since our fathers opted not to fill their roles, my Grandpa Morris willingly stepped into that role of father in our lives. We spent a lot of time at my grandparents, and any activity that had a father role, he filled it. I took him to a lot of daddy/daughter dances and events at church and he never once complained. He would always call me his "Little Suzi" as when I was young, I always had to have a bonnet on because of my red hair and fair skin. He said I always looked like a little Southern Suzibelle, and therefore, the nickname. He was my hero in more ways than I can count.

From the time he would get home from work until we had to leave, I was never far from him. He was the best. He could make any pain go away and could dry any tear. He was a large man - well over 6 foot tall and broad shoulders. He operated the cranes and heavy machinery that helped to build Interstate 74 as well as the ground work of many of the buildings on the U of I campus - including the Assembly Hall (my Grandpa Force was part of the crew who wired the Assembly Hall). It didn't matter how bad the world was because Grandpa made it ok. To this day I can close my eyes and think of hugging him and feel his strong arms around me and even still smell his aftershave. There have been moments in my life where that memory alone has gotten me through. I sometimes think of how a lot of things may have been different had he been around to remind me that it was not as bad as I thought/felt.

In 1986, Grandpa got pretty sick. Guess he had been for a while although us kids never knew it. I was 14, Lora was 3. He spent some time at Chanute AFB in the hospital then got to come home for a while. Then one day he got real bad and they ended up sending him to Scott AFB in Bellevue. I would not see him again. I would not even have the chance to say goodbye. He died on August 13, 1986. I remember taking the phone call from my great-aunt with the news. It devastated me, my hero, my father figure, my protector, was gone. I remember the funeral and how just distraught everyone was. Never saw my mom like that (and hope I never do again). I never cried. I felt I had to be strong for everyone that was falling apart. Matter of fact, that is when I quit crying altogether. At that moment it was formed - if you cry, you cannot be tough, you will not be in control. You cannot hold everyone else together unless you stay strong. Grandpa is gone, now you have to be strong on your own. I would not start to find peace with his death for over 10 years. It is still hard, and I still don't cry, and I miss him like crazy.

Less than a month after his death date, 25 years later, Lora and I stood in the gates of Scott AFB, the last place he had been, to watch the Blue Angels and honor our Grandpa. He was there with us, we both felt his presence.

We shook the hand of every Navy person we saw and bragged about our hero. We told stories of how he flew blimps until the Hindenburg accident shut that program down. He never would go on a submarine because he would say, "what goes up, must come down, but what goes down, does not necessarily have to come up." We talked about his picture album he had from Pearl Harbor when he was stationed there. He actually had finished his enlistment there and returned home - two weeks before it was bombed. We were always told of when he heard the news that he stood up, went straight to the recruiter's office and re-enlisted.

We spent two full days, watching planes, shaking hands, meeting people, telling stories, and clocking some memorable sister time. I laughed as I listened to the roar of the engines and walked through the big crowds, I got it.....I finally understood that, yes, I was "too little" to go all those years before. It would seem though, Grandpa had never forgotten how much I really wanted to see the show.

Monday I had to run to Hobby Lobby to pick up some stuff for a friend (yes, I am that nice). I always go look at the models and there was a new Blue Angel's one. You bet I bought it! I have my corner in the living room that is all Blue Angels. It would be a great addition. I have a larger scaled model just waiting to be put together at some point. That would be a nice project for the Fall.

In the meantime, another Thursday is here and soon to be gone. Will have to say that this post took a direction that I was not expecting, which is perfectly fine. When I write...I write. I let the thoughts go the direction that they want to. I'm pretty happy where the thoughts took this one. I know that Grandpa is still watching over me and cheering me on and reminding me that life can't get the best of me. I would like to think that he is proud of all us kids and what we have done with our lives.